Tuesday, November 4, 2008

October 17th and 18th

Sorry I've been so behind guys. I've been crazy busy but you all know that's how I function.  I have a couple posts breaking down the past couple weeks. This one focuses on just two days, a Gordon field trip day and an adventure to Doolin:

On fridays as you know by now are field trip with Gordon days. This day we went to a couple different ruined churches and estates. 
^ Celtic cross at Dysert O'Dea Castle, the word dysert means landscape of some sort, hence the word desert. 

^Here is my friend Anna. It was a little colder and wetter than we expected when we left the school, but Anna here is showing that we pushed through it and trekked around in the rain
 (meaning we crossed lots of mushy fields cows live in. you know what that means.)

^ Eliza drawing the heads around the archway. Above one of the doors of the church at Dysert O'Dea there are carvings of 12 apostles and some animal heads. 

^ Anna and Matt and demonstrating the manner in which most of us get the majority of our sleep. On a 14 person bus, head tilter back, mouth at various degrees of openness.

On Saturday after visiting the farmer's market and buying 8 euros worth of olives, Matt, Eliza, Sarah and I headed out for the Cliffs of Moher on Bus Eireann.

^ Cliffs, terrifyinglt high

^ I sacrificed myself to taking the tourist shot of the day. Matt shook his head in disapproval the whole time. I took a tourist shot of Eliza but she was in no way smiling like and idiot like me. Although you should all be proud that I was not one of the people in the crowd of tourists to be joking about how close to the edge I could get to. I almost had a heartattack for them.

^ More cliffs


^This last picture needs a little explaining. There is a road called the Burren Way. It circles most of the Burren and passes through Ballyvaughan all the way down to the cliffs. THe four of us decided it would be fun to take a day trip to the cliffs and then walk home on the Burren Way. So we took a bus to the cliffs, walked around amazed, then we started walking back to Doolin. However it was about 10-11 km back to just Doolin and it was already 3:30. When we finally got to Dooling we saw this sign that said 29Km to Ballyvaughan. At that point we decided we had given a valiant effort however we were soaked because it rained on us and decided to grab a pint, some dinner and get a taxi home. However it was an amazing day and we were all still very proud of turning the situation around and having a silly evening.
 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Liz,

I actually love the tourist shot! Thank you so much for sharing all the beautiful photos! Absolutely love them and cannot wait to get over across the pond!

Hugs,

Mom