Sunday, September 21, 2008

Dublin: Galleries, galleries, museums, and more galleries

And so this past weekend, Thursday through Saturday night, consisted of our trip to Dublin. There was a lot to do and see and I was so overwhelmed I didn't take that many pictures but I think i got a pretty good overview. 

The picture above shows one view of the Ireland Museum of Modern Art from the Formal Gardens. After looking through all of the exhibitions I went outside with the boys to explore the gardens. And they wanted to take naps. (which is understandable considering our bad planning of going to Greene's Pub the night before for traditional music and not going to sleep until 1 am and then waking up to leave for dublin at 5:45 am.) But we got our cat naps in where we could and IMMA was one of those places. They had a really awesome contemporary drawing exhibition in one of the side buildings and it was by far some of the better work in the whole museum. Well, at least I thought so. :)
Then we arrived in Dublin and the streets of Temple Bar, where our hostel was. And just to put this in persepective, our entire college travelled together and stayed together in one hostel, because there are only 26 of us. So this is us walking through the streets together.


After one of our professors took us to like 5 contemporary art galleries Eliza and I went off wandering and exploring Dublin. We found some good places to eat, some cool bookstores, awesome ice cream and we kept an eye out for where things were going to be happening the next night on culture night. We hung out on one of the statues on the main street, O'Connell Street. I tried to find the statue Grandpa climbed and took a picture from but I couldn't so this is one view looking down the same street I think he told me to go. I tried....

Once again, I have more hostel pictures. We all really got attached to all of our hostel rooms. They were so cozy and when you are in such close quarters it is hard not to get to know people and just laugh about everything so we really enjoyed hanging out in the hostel. Which is good for bonding, but not good for exploring the city. Haha. So we had to find a good balance. But this picture shows that where my housemates are standing is the only open area in the whole room. Om the right wall there is one bunk bed you can see that leads right up to the window. And next to the mirror, on the left hand wall are two other sets of bunk beds that also lead right up to the window with about a foot and a half of space between each bunk bed on either side of the room. It was awesome. The windows were huge and you could stand on the ledge and lean out the window. It was so much fun. More hostel pics and dublin pics in the next post. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Liz, Speaking of naps - where did you nap your first day in Ireland? I have a picture of you sleeping on a park bench that day! I was very worried!

Love you, Mom

Unknown said...

AH dublin. zomg.
in the picture with your school walking down the cute little cobble stone street, i can just envision marketa wheeling her hoover and glenn singing.
hostels look so fun.
as does the pub with traditional irish music until 1 a.m. i think the lack of sleep was worth it.
LOVE YOU!

Unknown said...

p.s. all of your posts have convinced me to triple up on sciences next semester so that i can study abroad next year. for ser. i'm going to the office of study abroad next week.

noonie said...

As always, your photography is beautiful. I feel like I've left my life to be with yours as I read your blog, and oogle over your interesting and pleasing pictures. So Greene's is the local pub in your home-base. Cool! Did you happen upon a graffiti shop in Temple Bar? I was reading something about an upcoming art raid, that one buys tickets for at a graffiti shop in Temple Bar. Sounds like a happening place. I remember that the tile floor of Christ Church called me to take many photos. Kelly and I had a hard time finding it, though. I think we were on a self-guided walking tour. Sounds like lots of inspiration! Thanks for the details!