Monday, September 22, 2008

Mondays.......

......are the best days ever. Had a great day in photography. We worked with pinhole cameras. i.e. boxes with photo paper at the back and a pinhole on the opposite side of the box. you let it sit for a certain number of seconds. And then on the paper you have a negative, just like with film cameras. THen you use the paper negative after its developed to make a positive print. They are SO much fun. I can't wait to make my own out of all sorts of boxes. It was a good day of class. (my photo class goes from 9:30-4:30) 

The picture above is of one of the pinhole negatives. below is the positive print from it.

I gave you them side by side for a better comparison. :)

Again, negative above and positive below. These were taken in the scrap yard behind school


I have more pictures of positive prints but i'll put them on flickr when i figure it out. And now I am off to finish my journey project for Mixed Media. Then dinner. then back to school to build some cameras and get some more drawing done for when I meet with Larry, the drawing and painting professor, for our tutorial on wednesday. 

Uncle martin mentioned in a lovely comment wondering if I was being influenced by where I am. I would answer that no other way but Hell Yes. This place is insane. I can't do it justice here. I will try and get some pictures up of my work so you guys know what I mean. The inspiration from the landscape and the entire country is so overwhelming some of us can't even get over it.

 The first day I climbed the mountain behind school all I could say was "This is insane. This is amazing. I love this place." Matt and I went up the mountain for a long time last wednesday and we were still saying, "Wow, I can't believe we are living here. This place is crazy. This is gorgeous." We had to sprint down the mountain to make it back before dark because we kept stopping to admire the view or the terrain. I wish all of you could visit here at some point. I love it. But I have so so so so so so so much work to do. Which is wonderful. I hope it continues this way. Time to go! Love you!

p.s. Jilli, here is my address

Elizabeth Dargie
c/o Burren College of Art
Newtown Castle
Ballyvaughan
County Clare
Ireland



5 comments:

Unknown said...

i love how the word "castle" is in your address : )

have fun being all artistically inspired : P you are amazing.

Unknown said...

Liz,

Sounds like a great day! Very few people can say Monday's are great!

Keep being inspired my wonderful daughter!

Can't wait to see more of your art work. Incredible that you took those with a box!

Googled Padric Reaney. Quite the celebrity but I didn't find many pictures of his work. He's still very active. Maybe you'll meet him while you are in Ireland.

Hugs, Mom

Auntie Helen said...

WOW - this is so great... LOVE the art that you are doing, and that your experience of place is impacting your art making.

Any dancing yet?

noonie said...

So, aside from your new camera pics, we get to see some of the art you are creating with the pinhole camera! The concept of the negative/positive is confusing to me, but the pics are very interesting. It must be productive to be able to devote an entire day to a specific topic like photography! I was inspired to knit for an hour this morning after talking with your mother last night. Now that we've seen Gordon, send pics of Larry? Bring a flashlight in case you get stuck on the mountain as it grows dark. Thanks so much for keeping us posted, Lizzy! Love you! XOXOX

Unknown said...

sounds like tons of fun lizzy-my-beth...climbing mountains with "matt" especially ;) jk- just miss garden teasing of course!