Saturday, September 6, 2008

Full.

The past couple days have continued to be as good as the last. More orientation stuff last wednesday and thursday. However Friday we had our first Irish Studies field trip. My professor, Gordon D'Arcy is awesome. I am so excited for this class. We traveled all around Connemara, which is about 8 miles across Galway Bay from Ballyvaughan. WE were on the bus for most of the day but we got to see so much of the land. The landscape is incredibly different from the Burren. They are almost opposites. While the Burren and Connemara both have their fair share of rock the Burren is made up of limestone while Connemara has igneous and metamorphic rock. This actually makes the soil more acidic, not basic like the limestone, and so vast boglands are found in connemara. That is where they did the peat from. Which by the way Noonie I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the smell of the peat fires. It was on my to-do list to write about it on here but I was away from the computers for a bit. And we saw this cool neo-gothic abbey which is behind me.We also visited the beaches in Connemara which mom tells me that some of you that are reading this may have also been too. Let me know if you recognize any of the names. THe first one was Mannen beach. I think. I might not have the names quite right. BUt the sand was formed of the fossilized bits of parts of the algae in the sea. It was pretty cool. I had a bag with me so I was the dork with the bag of sand. Love it. :P And then we went to Dog's Bay which was totally different. 

THere was gorgeous fine white sand and crystal clear water. I wanted to dive right in. THe pretty much wrapped up the field trip. We all jsut slept on the coach on the way home. Haha.We were tuckered out. 

Today we had kind of a shopping day in Gort. BUt first we passed through Kinvara and they had these boats name Galway Hookers. We all got a kick out of that one. BUt this was one of the regular boats by the little pier.
Gort (a very silly sounding name. rhymes with wart and fort) had cheaper groceries and wonderful panninis so it was worth the trip.
 This is Eliza with her groceries. Haha. And these are all of mine. Granted that bag is totally stuffed. :)
When we got home though and loaded up the fridges to the brim (imagine 10 kids and two small fridges), the sun was shining like it had been for the most part and I couldn't waste it inside. Two of my housemates, Matt and Ryan, were headed up the burren (the rocky hill/mountain behind the house) and so I joined them. It is now the third time that I have been up the burren and it is getting easier and easier. We have been training well. :) 
Matt, above, had one of those old four by five cameras that you have to have a blanket over it to keep the sunlight out and he was taking some photos and then we got to the top. It was gorgeous. I'll let the pictures do the talking. 

And then MAtt wanted to do one last photo at the top and wanted to do a portrait so I was the lucky model. I cant wait to see the result. He is so talented I can't even imagine how sick it is going to be. If I can get my hands on a print if its good I would love to. So that kind of brings me to now. Its Matt's birthday tonight at midnight so we will have to see what how he wants to celebrate. Time to walk back before the sun totally sets. Love all of you and I'll be back on again when school starts monday. :)

8 comments:

noonie said...

D'Arcy sounds like a name from a good book. An inspiring teacher is what makes us love to learn - the Irish Studies field trip sounds like a total immersion of the senses. The sun shining illuminates it all - yeah!

Happy Birthday, Matt - can't wait to hear how you all celebrated! So glad you've found fun and creative learning, Lizzy!

XOXO Noonie

Unknown said...

Outstanding pictures! Do you think Barb and I should start training so that we will be able to climb the Burren?

Happy Birthday to Matt!

Love you, Mom

maddie.m said...

Lizzy!! Hi! I just looked at this blog for the first time and... AHH I am so excited for you!! the pictures are GORGEOUS! and it sounds like you are going to have an amazing experience!! I love you and can't wait to hear more from you!!
Love, Maddie

Anonymous said...

hmm, matt and ryan, huh? tell them i say hello ;)

mikey and i want to talk to you on skype, but you dont have that do you? make it happen.

wuv.

Unknown said...

hmmm...I want stories...garden stories, and you know exactly what I mean ;) Looks like you're having a blast and that makes me SO happy- GORGEOUS pictures! I totally wish I was there!!! MISS YOU, keep writing- I LOVE IT

ps- interesting stuff went down with happy hark. and, oh yes, I survived my very first open house! WOO HOO!!!

Lizzy said...

melissa and katie, i should have ichat working soon so maybe we can arrange chatting dates. im kind of trying to not be ichatting all the time so that my brain is in ireland. there are a lot of kids that are constantly on their phones and computers but i think my blog and email are good for awhile but i would very much so enjoy a chat with both of you. i'll send you both my new sn.

love,lizzy

Amandar057 said...

Hey! Sounds like you're having a fabulous time in Ireland. I am so jealous! Kind of random for me to be reading these posts but I saw the link on your facebook and was intrigued. haha. Anyhow, Connemara is where my families from, see if you can find any Connemara marble. Its beautiful. Your pictures are amazing as well.

Ellie said...

hi lizzy!!! i havent talked to you yet since uve been in ireland!! these pictuires are beautiful you sound like you are having a BLAST! i am soooooo excited forf you this is amazing! Miss ya!!!!! ill be checking in to hear from you on the blog!
love you!, Ellie